Slow down your heavy beating heart, my friend. Put away the technology and seek refuge from your social media jungle. Rest your weary bones by breathing life back into them. Discover your inner crazy, nourish your creativity and fill your cup. What you need, you disenfranchised soul, is a staycation.
Your home becomes your fortress of indulgence and the couch your stronghold. The bubbled sanctuary that is your bedroom is impenetrable by the outside world. There is nothing to do but rest, recover, re-connect and bust out those really inappropriate table dancing moves. It’s a marvelous thing, to shut the windows and doors on regular existence and indulge your inner muse.
Anywhere from 2-5 days is sufficient. Any less is a tease, and any more you risk turning into an incorrigible sloth. In between, you emerge from your cocoon a radiant butterfly. Fresh, new and innocently altered.
Here are 10 things you must do to create a sweet ass staycation:
1. Do Not get out of your pajamas. You can get clean ones though, I encourage that.
2. Play the music too loud. While your neighbors are at work (suckers), turn up the volume on all your favorite tunes and lip sync yourself silly.
3. Eat breakfast for dinner and vice versa. There are no rules, be a renegade. Let loose and follow your desires. It’s only food and it’s only a few days.
4. Keep the coffee pot full and chai tea brewed. Creative restoration requires hot beverages, in constant supply. Don’t let the well run dry.
5. Go for long walks. Let your blood feel the sweet flow of oxygen renewal and refresh those brain cells. Undo the kinks and luxuriate in cat stretches in warm sunny spots when you return. Walks are designed for wandering minds and busy feet, explore what lays ahead.
6. Prepare the nest. I have to admit, hibernating in a dirty apartment for a couple days just feels…well, dirty. Clean up your act, make it a space you feel good in.
7. Stock up. Pretend you’re an insurrectionist, planning a great revolt again a tyrannous establishment. You need to build up food and drink supplies for yourself and your crew. No one can leave the bunker until the plan of attack is perfected. Yes?
8. Prepare your supply of old movies and book classics. As per no.7, fuel your imagination and crazy factor.
9. Take naps. Any time of the day is good. In fact, you can stay up all night and sleep all day if you choose. It’s your staycation, you can sleep if you want to…
10. Stay and listen. It’s fun and liberating to free yourself from schedules, work responsibilities and social obligations. However, when you flip the switch on your routine and create space for the wandering mind…you may not like where it ends up. Things have a tendency to ‘show up’ for us in stillness, and this is good. Greet the unanswered questions and squelched desires like a mother welcoming her forsaken son with open arms. Because everything that is a part of us deserves to be acknowledged and loved.
Enjoy your frolic with the uneventful and do it as often as you can. Adventure is grand, but the good stuff arises out of stillness.
Have some suggestions of your own? Write them into the comments section and we will add them to the post.