* Guest post by Tadej Kožar
The modern society runs on coffee. People wake up in the morning and the only thing on their mind at that moment is the fresh brew waiting for them in the kitchen. Are you one of those people?
If coffee makes your day complete, then you will appreciate this article.
The method that you can opt for to make coffee depends on the equipment that you have, your personal coffee preference, and budget.
This is the simplest method when you are outdoors. It, however, results in poor quality coffee and isn’t the best way for avid coffee lovers.
The equipment that you will need to prepare an instant coffee include a source of heat, coffee granules and a pan for heating the water up. Bring the water to boil on an open fire on your stove.
This is another method that is popular among campers. It requires minimal effort but the coffee quality is not that great. To prepare a cowboy coffee, you will need a vessel for heating water, a source of heat and fine coffee grounds.
- Bring the water to boil.
- Add the coffee grounds and reduce the heat so as to allow the mixture to simmer. The coffee grounds will sink to the bottom of the vessel after a few minutes.
- With the coffee grounds settled, pour the coffee in a cup. If the grounds are reluctant to fall to the bottom of the vessel, pour some cold water on them.
The coffee sock method
This method is similar to the cowboy method with the only difference being the presence of a coffee sock that holds the coffee. Coffee grounds are held in the sock to prevent them from escaping into the water.
When you take coffee prepared this way, you will not end up with coffee grounds in your teeth. The cleaning up process afterward is also easy as all the residue will be held up in the sock.
Pour over coffee
The pour-over coffee method will produce better quality coffee than the methods highlighted above. You will need a pour over coffee pot and filters, a source of heat, and fine ground coffee. This method relies on gravity to brew your coffee and this result in better quality.
To prepare a pour over coffee, you will have to do the following;
- Boil water in a pan.
- Place the filter in the pour-over coffee pot.
- Pour some water on the coffee grounds and allow water to filter through.
- Wait for about 30 seconds and continue pouring the hot water slowly and consistently.
The French press method
This method of making coffee results in really tasty coffee. You will need a French press for this process. The method is quite straight-forward and you can get some outdoor friendly French presses for your camping needs. They can easily fit in your backpack for easy transportation.
- Boil some water.
- Add some ground coffee to the French press and pour the water over.
- Remove the lid after 30 seconds and stir the grounds for two full rotations. Replace the lid.
- Wait for three minutes and press the plunger down to separate the coffee grounds and the water.
Waking up to a cup of fresh coffee will make your morning at camp worthwhile. It will give you energy for the upcoming outdoor activities so go ahead and choose your coffee making method and enjoy in the wild.